Nan's Art Adventures

Join me while I explore watercolor and sketching! I'm new to this, having never thought of myself as "artistic"! (I'm having a blast, as I learn!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: La Crescenta, Ca

30 years in dentistry lead to early retirement, to be my husband's caregiver. He passed away February 10th, 2008. I am thankful I found art then, as it continues to help me now.

July 21, 2006

Poppies by Me!


My watercolor class has been focusing on "negative painting" lately. This means that I have been painting a lot of white objects! My teacher can just paint in the background, leaving the space for the flower, stem, or whatever, white. I had to cheat by lightly sketching in the shapes of the petals in pencil! These Matilija Poppies grow quite tall in Southern California, and I've seen them growing wild in the countryside! The have quite a crepe paper look to them. I think I could fiddle with the shading on the petals a bit more, but you know how it is when you just need to be done with something!

5 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

Leave them absolutely alone, they're wonderful, as is. I recognized them immediately. Up in Carmel, we saw many stands of Matilija poppies in people's front gardens. They reseed so prolifically that we're forever yanking them out, but I discovered just this year that they're wonderful cut flowers. You captured them perfectly!

5:24 PM  
Blogger Nel Jansen said...

These are wonderful, they really pop out of the background, love the colors too. Great job.

4:52 AM  
Blogger belindadelpesco.com said...

Wow, Nan, these are so well done! They really do stand out from the background, and the touches of shading on them are just right. It's finished, and lovely!
Belinda

6:54 AM  
Blogger Jane LaFazio said...

nan, you're doin' great! I really see a difference in your paintings, you classes are paying off. Keep up the good work.
[LOVE your new kitty!]

6:23 AM  
Blogger Rachel Murphree said...

Hi Nan -- these are WONDERFUL! they really pop against the dark background...just perfect! neat sketches too, posted recently. Thanks for posting on my blog and welcome to watercolor workshop!

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home