Nan's Art Adventures

Join me while I explore watercolor and sketching! I'm new to this, having never thought of myself as "artistic"! (I'm having a blast, as I learn!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: La Crescenta, Ca

30 years in dentistry lead to early retirement, to be my husband's caregiver. He passed away February 10th, 2008. I am thankful I found art then, as it continues to help me now.

May 05, 2006


On a recent trip we explored the countryside between Cambria and Paso Robles. This photo is of a walnut grove. When we stopped at a winery I commented about how the bare branches appear to be lavendar-gray. They explained that is because the trees are grafted. The trunks are black walnut, and the branches are English walnut. The black walnut is more disease resistant with other various attributes, but the better nut is the English walnut, so they've found the perfect solution!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

Well, that's interesting,isn't it, about the trees? Do you like black walnuts? Not I. I think they taste like dirt, but they make a beautiful grafted tree. I'll say that for them.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home