Nan's Art Adventures

Join me while I explore watercolor and sketching! I'm new to this, having never thought of myself as "artistic"! (I'm having a blast, as I learn!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: La Crescenta, Ca

30 years in dentistry lead to early retirement, to be my husband's caregiver. He passed away February 10th, 2008. I am thankful I found art then, as it continues to help me now.

June 25, 2006

Maxine

This is Maxine. She found us at the perfect time. Our cat Kerry was old, and ailing. One day Maxine literally popped out of our rose garden and chatted me up. She clearly wanted affection and company! She was a stray that I later learned one of our neighbors was trying to find a home for. Well, Maxine took matters into her own hands (or paws!) and found us herself! My husband thought we'd never be able to get another cat, for fear it would chew on all the tubing he uses, for oxygen etc. But Maxine has never touched it! For a while we had an indoor cat (Kerry) and an outdoor cat..... Then Kerry's organs were failing, so we had to say goodbye to her. Now Maxine rules the roost here, both inside and out. She is a great companion and makes us laugh every single day with her antics! If you believe in miracles, she is ours.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

What a great feline portrait of a very special cat.

6:19 AM  
Blogger Jane said...

Have you any inclination at all to paint Maxine's portrait from this picture? I challenge you to try it (only if it sounds like fun to you)

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maxine looks just like Mandu when she was young - what a sweet face.

Do keep her indoors. In La Crescenta and La Canada she will eventually fall prey to a coyote - we have learned that from sad experience. Mandu was an outdoor cat for many years and I think she survived by being climber - she rarely left our yard and even when she did she did it by rooftop surfing.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

Welcome to edm group. YOur work is beautiful and I love the story of how your new cat found herself a loving home.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

Thanks to Jane,Lindsayand Karen! You made me smile!

7:01 AM  
Blogger Orelinde_03 said...

Not only is that a beautiful piece of art, but a beautiful story on how she found her family, and expanded yours.

Maxine, you and your husband are very lucky to have one another!

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home