Nan's Art Adventures

Join me while I explore watercolor and sketching! I'm new to this, having never thought of myself as "artistic"! (I'm having a blast, as I learn!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: La Crescenta, Ca

30 years in dentistry lead to early retirement, to be my husband's caregiver. He passed away February 10th, 2008. I am thankful I found art then, as it continues to help me now.

July 30, 2006

Lotus


We went to Lotusland in Santa Barbara with my watercolor class. (It was even hot and very humid by the beach!) Lotusland is a 37 acre botanical garden with an amazing collection of unique plantings. The home and gardens were created in the 1920's by it's owner, Madame Ganna Walska. The acreage is divided into peaceful garden rooms with anything from the lotus flowers, to cactus, bromeliads, ferns, succulents, aloes, cycads (The sego palm is a cycad, who knew!), and even a grass covered ampitheater were she would perform her opera singing. Japanese and European staturary accents are found throughout the property. After Madame death, in 1984 the property became a nonprofit educational institution and opened to the public in 1993. This was our first visit. I'm told the cactus gardens are splendid in Feburary. www.lotusland.org will take you to their web site.

3 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

This is a beautiful photo! Will you be showing us your paintings? I'll bet you got enough reference shots to last for months! :-)

7:40 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

Yes, I do plan to paint lotus flowers! But I'm slow, so who knows when I'll get one finished! :)

6:46 AM  
Blogger Shelly McC said...

Stunning photo.

2:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home