Nan's Art Adventures

Join me while I explore watercolor and sketching! I'm new to this, having never thought of myself as "artistic"! (I'm having a blast, as I learn!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: La Crescenta, Ca

30 years in dentistry lead to early retirement, to be my husband's caregiver. He passed away February 10th, 2008. I am thankful I found art then, as it continues to help me now.

August 20, 2006

Magnolia 2006


This is my most recently completed watercolor. Quite a change from the magnolia I painted two summers ago. Practice, practice, practice, is good advice! I have struggled with the scanning of this painting and probably should have just posted a digital photo instead! I had to stitch the image together and did not get it quite right; in fact I lost the shadow of the stamen! The petals looked yellow on the scan at first, and the blues lost their brilliance! Everything is a learning experience! My sketching class enabled me capture shadows and folds on white petals! (This feels like a bit of a miracle actually!) An added bonus to painting flowers up-close is that it sure acquaints one with its parts; the flowers, leaves, and branches! Our classroom sure was fragrant that day!

4 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

Nancy, that's so exciting to see the change and progress. And the leaves on this new rendering very definitely look shiny......wonderfully so. I'm tickled pink that you've been able to immerse yourself in this new interest and that you're enjoying it so much. You go, girl!

9:20 AM  
Blogger Jana Bouc said...

This really is amazing! The new magnolia is so much more specific and detailed and the difference in watercolor technique is huge. The leaves are shiny and 3-dimensional and the yellow thingees are just popping right out of the picture! Thanks for all the nice things you said on my blog and for the link so I could see your Magnolias too. It is so interesting the differences in approach! This would be a cool thing to post to the EDM group--to show people the before and after of a year of practice (I assume that's how we've connected...through EDM...but if not, it's Every Day Matters, an online art group about sketching).

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job, Nancy, it's exciting to see how your hard work is paying off. The petals turn just so - beautifully done.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

Wow. Your hard work has paid off. Your leaves in particular look very real.. You can see the shine. Good work

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home